Want to Keep Your Pets Safe & Show Them Love On V-Day? Follow These 7 Steps

image

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nothing’s better on Valentine’s Day than getting flowers, truffles and those little heart-shaped candies with the cute sayings printed on them. But for pets, all that romance can be dangerous.

While we are celebrating Valentine’s , lets recognize the traditions that can be dangerous for our pets . Show them love by following these 7 tips.

1. Lose the lilies. : One of the biggest concerns you should be aware of is the Lily Flower. All lily flowers are extremely toxic to cats and will cause fatal kidney failure . Even a tiny nibble of any part of the lily plant can be deadly to felines. If you have cats in your home, make sure that mixed arrangements of flowers do not contain any type of lilies and, if they do, pluck them out. Cats can get almost anywhere. And as the lilies wilt, the petals can fall off . Cat can get toxicity that way. If you think your cat has been exposed to any part of the lily plant, bring them immediately to the vet.

2. Give chocolates to your paramour, not your pooch! : Most of us know that chocolate is toxic to dogs. How toxic, depends on the kind of chocolate – baker’s, semi-sweet, milk or dark – and whether it is mixed into cake or cookies. Generally, the darker and more solid it is, the higher the toxicity. If your pooch start showing symptoms of illness, the best thing to do is to call poison control. They can tell you by the amount of chocolate the dog ate, what product it was, and how big your dog is, how worried you need to be.

3. Keep sugar-free foods out of your pet’s reach. : Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in many types of sugar-free candies and baked goods, is toxic to dogs and can cause liver failure. It’s best to read the ingredients list on any sugar-free foods and keep any products containing Xylitol out of your dog’s reach.

4. Toss the ribbon and string. : Gifts are a nice surprise on Valentine’s Day, but make sure to throw away any pretty ribbons and string they’ve been tied with. For some reason it’s very instinctive for cats to eat it. It gets caught in their intestines and can saw right through them and cause a perforation.

5. Dump or drink any leftover booze.: Be mindful of half-full glasses of champagne or wine left unattended for curious pets to explore. Even a little bit of alcohol can be very harmful to small animals. It can potentially cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances,coma and even fatal respiratory failure.

6. Blow out the candles.: The warm glow of candlelight is romantic and flattering, but open flames present obvious dangers. Never leave your pet alone with a lit candle or fire. They can knock over candles and harm themselves and your home.

7. Every rose has a thorn, so be sure to remove them: Make sure the quintessential symbol of Valentine’s Day is pet-friendly. Biting, chewing or stepping on thorny roses can cause trauma, but there are also certain infections that can be passed by the thorn,too.

Should your pet get into mischief on Valentine’s Day, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year at (888) 426-4435. (A $65 consultation fee may apply)

image

Advertisements

One response to “Want to Keep Your Pets Safe & Show Them Love On V-Day? Follow These 7 Steps

Comments are closed.